WHAT WE BELIEVE AND WHY WE BELIEVE IT
It is not only important for us as Christians to know what we believe, but also why we believe it. In establishing these beliefs, unless the doctrinal teachings of a Church are based 100% upon the Holy Bible they are of no value. In this flyer we have listed the essential doctrines found in the 1st Century Church, and where they are taught in the Word of God.
We believe that the Holy Bible, and only the Bible, in it’s original manuscripts, is 100% the Word of God. It, alone, is the final authority in determining all Doctrinal Truths.
- “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof for correction, for instruction in righteousness” – 2 Timothy 3:16.
- “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” – 2 Peter 1:20-21.
- “Every word of God is pure.” – Proverbs 30:5.
- Additional Scriptures: Romans 16:25-26.
The Doctrine of the Trinity or Tri-unity is that in one God there are three distinct persons, The Father, The Son (Jesus), and The Holy Spirit. They are all of the same substance, and are co-equal and co-eternal.
- “Then God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness … ” – Genesis 1:26.
- “Go, therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” – Matthew 28:19.
- “Then Jesus, when He had been baptized, came up immediately from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” — Mark 1:9-11.
- Additional Scriptures: Luke 1:35, Isaiah 9:6, Heb. 3:7-11.
We believe that Jesus Christ is God the Son, the 2nd person of the Trinity. On earth he was 100% God and 100% man. He was the only man ever to live a sinless life.
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh … “- John 1:1,14.
- And Thomas answered and said to Him, ‘My Lord and My God!'” – John 20:28.
- “… God was manifested in the flesh… “ – 1 Timothy 3:16.
- “For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” – Isaiah 9:6.
- “… Christ Jesus… who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God.” – Philippians 2:5-6.
- Additional Scripture: 1 Tim. 2:5.
Jesus Christ was conceived by God the Holy Spirit (the 3rd person of the Trinity) in the Virgin Mary’s womb. He is called the Son of God because He was conceived by God.
- “Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit…. for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit “ – Matthew 1:18, 20.
- “And the angel answered and said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.’” – Luke 1:35.
- Additional Scriptures: Isaiah 7:14, Matt. 1:23, Luke 1:27-35.
Repentance is the commitment to turn away from sin in every area of our lives and to follow Christ.
- “… Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ… ” – Acts 2:38.
- “Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.” – Acts 3:19.
Sanctification is the ongoing process of yielding to God in order to complete the development of Christ’s character in us.
- For this is the will of God your sanctification.” – 1 Thessalonians 4:3.
- “Now may the God of Peace Himself sanctify you completely …” – 1 Thessalonians 5:23.
- Additional Scriptures: 2 Cor. 6:14-18, 2 ‘Mess. 2:1-3, 2 Cor. 3:18, Rom. 8:29, 12:1-2, Heb. 2:11.
We are saved by grace (which is undeserved and unearned) through faith in Jesus Christ and His death, burial and resurrection. Salvation is a gift from God, not as a result of our good works or any human efforts.
- “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any one should boast.” – Ephesians 2:8-9.
- “Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.” – Galatians 2:16
- “Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us …” – Titus 3:5.
- Additional Scriptures: Gal. 3:8; Rom. 10:9-10; Acts 16:31; Heb. 9:22.
The Blood that Jesus Christ shed on the Cross of Calvary was sinless and is 100% sufficient to forgive man of all sins. Jesus allowed Himself to be punished for the sins we had committed, enabling all mankind to be free from the penalty of sin (which is death).
- “The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.” – 1 John 1:7.
- “… To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood.” – Revelation 1:5.
- “… having made peace through the blood of His cross.” – Colossians 1:20.
- “… for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation.” – Revelation 5:9.
- Additional Scriptures: Rom. 3:10-12, 23, 5:9, John 1:29.
CHRIST INDWELLS ALL BELIEVERS
A Christian is a person who has invited the Lord Jesus Christ to come and live inside of him through the Holy Spirit. He is putting his trust in what Christ has accomplished for him when He died, was buried and rose again from the dead.
- “… the Spirit of truth … He dwells with you and will be in you.” – John 14:17.
- “Jesus answered and said to him, ‘If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and we will come to Him, and make Our home with him.” – John 14:23.
- “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name.” – John 1:12.
- “Abide in me, and I in you.” – John 15:4.
- Additional Scriptures: Rev. 3:20, Rom. 8:11.
We believe that Jesus Christ was physically resurrected from the dead in a glorified body three days after His death on the cross. One day all believers in Christ will also be physically resurrected in their glorified bodies to their eternal reward in Heaven with God.
- “… Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them and said to them … Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bone, as you see I have.” – Luke 24:36, 39.
- “The Lord Jesus Christ, Who will transform our lowly body, that it may be conformed to His glorious body…” – Philippians 3:21.
- “So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.” – 1 Corinthians 15:42, 44.
- Additional Scriptures. John 20:26-28, John 21 4, Luke 24.16, Phil 1:21¬23, Acts 24:15. John 219-21.
Heaven is the eternal dwelling place of all believers in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- “For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.” – 2 Corinthians 5:1.
- “To an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you.” – 1 Peter 1:4.
- Additional Scriptures: Heb. 11:16, John 17:24, Matt. 5:3, 12, 20, 6:20, 19:21, 25:34.
After living our life on earth, the wicked will be judged by God and sent to Hell where they will be eternally, consciously, tormented with the Devil and the Fallen Angels.
- “… it is appointed for men to die once but after this the judgment” – Hebrews 9:27.
- “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, Depart from Me, cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels” – Matthew 25:41.
- Additional Scriptures: Rev. 14:9-11; 20:12-15, 21:8, Mark 9:43-48.
1 – WATER BAPTISM – Following believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, the new convert is commanded by the Word of God to be baptized in water in the Name of the Lord.
- “Go therefore, and make disciples of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” – Matthew 28:19.
- “Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ” – Acts 2:38.
2 – THE LORD’S SUPPER – A unique time of communion in the presence of God when the elements of bread and wine, representing the Body and Blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, are taken in remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice on the Cross.
- “… the Lord Jesus, on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; And when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.’ In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in My blood This do, as often as you drink it in remembrance of Me.'” – 1 Corinthians 11:23-25.
- Additional Scriptures: Mark 16:16, Acts 8:12, 8:36-38, 10:47-48, Matt. 26:26-28, 1 Cor. 10:16.
Jesus Christ will physically and visibly return to earth for the second time to establish His Kingdom. This will occur at a date undisclosed by the scriptures.
- “Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, and they also who pierced Him …” – Revelation 1:7.
- “Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, tow men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.’” – Acts 1:9-11.
- Additional Scriptures: Matt. 24:30; 26:63-64, 1 Th.. 4:15-17, 2 Th.. 1:7-8.
HEALING OF THE SICK
Healing of the sick was demonstrated in the life and ministry of Jesus, and included in the commission of Jesus to His disciples. Given as a sign which was to follow believers, it is a part of Christ’s atonement on the Cross.
- “… they brought Him many who were demon possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying He Himself took our infirmities and bore our sicknesses.”‘ – Matthew 8:16-17.
- “… the multitudes … heeded the things spoken by Philip, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did …. and many who were paralyzed and lame were healed.” – Acts 8:6-7.
- “And these signs will follow those who believe: In my name … they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” – Mark 16:17-18.
- Additional Scriptures: James 5:14-16, 3 John 2, Psalm 103:2-3, Isaiah 53:5.
BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
Given at Pentecost, it was the promise of the Father, sent by Jesus after His Ascension, to empower the Church to preach the Gospel through the whole earth. The purpose of the gift of tongues is to bring edification to the believer, to enhance his prayer life and as a sign to the unbeliever.
- “… it shall come to pass in the last days, says God, that I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh …” – Acts 2:17.
- “… you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.” – Acts 2:38-39.
- “And these signs will follow those who believe … they will speak with new tongues.” – Mark 16:17.
- Additional Scriptures: Joel 2:28-29, Matt. 3:11, Acts 1:5,8, 2:1-4, 8:14-17, 10:38,44-47, 11:15-17, 19:1-6.
A Christian Marriage is a covenant between one man and one woman, to live together in fidelity to one another, to serve God together and fulfill His purpose for them together as husband and wife.
- “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” – Genesis 2:24.
- “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.” – Hebrews 13:4.
- Additional Scriptures: Rom. 7:2-3; 1 Cor. 7:2-4, 10-14.
(Taken from: ‘What We Believe And Why We Believe It” – tract, © 1981 Glad Tidings – Christian Equippers International. www.equipper.com)